In case you missed Idaho County’s announcement regarding the FEMA Teepee Springs Vegetation Management Project soon to be implemented near the town of Riggins, relevant information regarding possible negative outcomes due application of herbicides over a period of at least five years can be found here. (List of Chemicals, pp. 20-21, final version, Idaho County website)
– These chemicals are always used in combination making them up to 1000 times more toxic.
– Scientific studies show that glyphosate (in Roundup):
– Causes many diseases, such as Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, autism, cataracts, joint degeneration and obesity, diabetes, liver and kidney disease and insufficiency, miscarriages, birth defects, tumors and cancer, etc. (My farmer husband died of cancer, according to our MD, from handling herbicides.)
– Causes problems for salmon and rainbow trout: labored breathing, damage to liver and digestive system, inability to recognize food and predators, reproductive problems, low weight and size, death.
– Causes similar damage to deer, small animals, insects, reptiles and amphibians.
Results of herbicide application:
– These poisons will end up in rivers / streams, groundwater and wells / drinking water when it rains.
– Game and fish will contain toxic herbicides which will be stored in the fat cells of the eater and will produce disease and degeneration in humans and animals.
– Any small amount reaching surface waters, where almost extinct populations of salmon and rainbow trout spawn and raise young, will cause the death of those incubated and growth problems for the young in this habit Designated Critical of the Salmon River Basin. (The drift cannot be controlled.)
– Finally, game and fish in the action area will be considerably reduced in number, size and weight. Big trophy harvests will be a thing of the past.
If you are concerned about the residents and businesses of Riggins, quickly contact your County Commissioners. Any state entity can refuse to receive federal money / grants when the program describes actions detrimental to its citizens. This same type of project could be proposed for any area that has suffered recent fire damage. It’s time to protect our personal health and our environment.